Little Learners Program
What is Little Learners?
Little Learners is a joint program that came about through a partnership between Ashdale Primary School and the City of Wanneroo Library Service.
What is the purpose?
To prepare children for kindy and ready to learn by becoming familiar with Ashdale Primary School to enable a smooth transition.
Who is it aimed at?
Children who are enrolled to start Kindergarten at Ashdale Primary School in 2019 and their parents.
What is our Focus?
- Development of Pre-Literacy Skills
- Parental Involvement
- Introduction to School Routines and Concepts and School Readiness Skills
Children cannot learn to read and write until they have mastered the six pre-literacy skills, so each session will focus on at least one of these:
- Print Motivation
- Print Awareness
- Phonological Awareness
- Letter Knowledge
- Narrative Skills
We know that parents are their child’s first teacher and they have a role to play in their child’s development. Parents are required to attend.
School Routines and Concepts
Starting kindergarten represents an enormous change for children. If we can introduce school routines and concepts now, there may be less tears on their first day.
- Finding their name badge (and recognising their name in print)
- Social skills such as taking turns
- Transitioning from one activity to another
- Fine and gross motor skills
- Basic maths and science concepts
What’s in a Session?
- Books, songs, rhymes and craft
- Early Literacy messages and information about reading for parents
- Procedures that reinforce the school’s practices
- A booklet that provides tips to reinforce the session messages and suggest further activities at home
- Better Beginnings Sing With Me Pack – a backpack filled with resources that allows parents to sing songs and share stories with their children
Please refer to the Bookings page on our website for program dates.